Careers with Disabilities are proud to welcome the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) to our disability-friendly network of employers. We encourage all disabled jobseekers to browse the amazing opportunities at Dstl via our inclusive jobs board.
Dstl are a Government organisation leading the way in the creation of innovative solutions to defence strategy. There are a variety of different career opportunities at Dstl. This includes scientists, engineers, analysts, project managers and medical personnel. Wherever your skills and interest lie, you could find a rewarding career at Dstl.
Diversity and Inclusion
Dstl offer an inclusive working environment that is supportive of people with disabilities. They recognise that recruiting candidates from diverse backgrounds brings representation and fresh ideas. Specifically, Dstl are committed to:
- Offering a guaranteed interview to disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for all job vacancies.
- Proactively implement reasonable adjustments to support disabled candidates and employees thrive in the workplace.
Dstl offer a number of working policies that support people with disabilities or long-term health conditions. This includes a flexible working scheme which allows staff to arrange their working day to accommodate for their lifestyle and circumstances, and the opportunity for employees to move to working from home. Moreover, the creation of the Enabled Network allows employees with visible and non-visible disabilities to feel support in the workplace.
Dstl recently took the steps to join the Disability Confident Scheme. They are currently registered at level one of the Scheme. Careers with Disabilities are looking forward to supporting Dstl as they progress through the Scheme. We are confident Dstl’s Disability Confident journey will be a smooth one, and are excited to see their progress over the coming years.
Neurodiversity at DSTL
Dstl keenly embrace neurodiverse candidates, such as those with dyslexia, autism or Asperger’s. Staff are fully educated and aware of how to support neurodiverse candidates both during the recruitment process and in the workplace. Dstl report a current disability declaration of 7.7%, including 3% declaring neurodiversity.
Opportunities for Disabled Jobseekers
There are a range of career opportunities at Dstl, many of which are suitable for early career entry. The current opportunities include:
- Storyteller – working with the Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA) engagement team to produce creative and compelling communications.
- Health Physicists – working with the Radiation Sciences Group to provide radiation protection services.
- NMR Spectroscopist: working with the Analytical Chemistry Team to maintain three spectrometers.
- Associate Project Manager: supporting the Project Manager to coordinate the project management of the Defence and Security Accelerator (DASA) activities.
To see the full range of job vacancies at Dstl, visit the Careers with Disabilities jobs board.