Blackpool, Leeds, London, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Sheffield
About the job
We’re looking for outstanding Senior Software Engineers, who want to contribute to demanding and exciting digital services for the UK Government. Be part of changing the face of public services with the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people.
Our Engineers to build and run applications as part of a multi-functional agile delivery teams. What really excites the successful candidate is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. The candidate will be expected to draw value from collaboration with others, actively seek input from colleagues and value a multidisciplinary team over hierarchy.
Our Senior Software Engineers are skilled practitioners and role model for software craft within DWP.
You’ll help make sure we follow best practice and will guide our teams on how to deliver quality software products.
You’ll work as part of multidisciplinary teams, in collaboration with architects and engineers, to design software products that make up services used by millions of people.
You will focus on operational stability, robustness, resilience, availability and quality, and be accountable for the code you and your teams produce.
The ideal candidate for this role will be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure.
• A good understanding of TDD and BDD.
• SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB.
• Containerisation – tools such as Docker and Kubernetes.
• The skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
• Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures.
Your responsibilities will include but are not restricted to, the following:
• Design and lead the strategies for building reusable libraries and services.
• Lead Software Engineering teams providing technical leadership and guidance.
• Coaching and mentoring your team and their professional development.
• Contribute and set strategic direction for product team and the wider Software Engineering community.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• An employer pension contribution of up to 27%
• A generous annual leave allowance
Salary for this role is from £49,171 to £59,589 for roles in National Hub Locations.
Where the maximum salary is offered a digital allowance up to £2,614 is available for exceptional candidates, based on our assessment of your skills and experience.
The salary range for this role in London is from £54,067 to £64,656.
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
This role can be based out of either (London, Blackpool, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield) corporate hub locations.
The Department is committed to promoting flexible ways of working, whilst enabling the business to operate at maximum efficiency and will expect colleagues to work from a blend of locations, including some time working at home, as required. The corporate hub location will be the designated place of work and any remote or home working arrangement does not constitute a change to your designated place of work or contractual Terms and Conditions. Please be aware that this role can only be worked in the UK and not overseas.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is .
.People working with government assets must complete checks.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally