About the opportunity:
The Jacobs Power and Energy team carries out work for a range of traditional sector organisations as well as new comers, to our local markets and to our sector. This includes work on transmission system assets, HVDC interconnectors, energy storage systems, inertia systems, wind farms and advanced facilities for mission critical industries in the technology and process sectors. We mostly focus at EHV transmission level work but carry out work at lower voltage levels where associated with our prime focus.
Our team has a clear focus on innovation and supporting industries and organisations focussed on decarbonisation of our energy systems.
We are looking to appoint an EHV electrical engineer to strengthen our substation design team with the ability to liaise directly with clients and grow our activities in transmission and distribution substation design, providing support for detailed design and Front-End Engineering Design (FEED) for clients including National Grid, wind farms, energy storage facilities, interconnectors and DNO frameworks. The ability to do system studies using ETAP, PSS/e or DigSilent will be an advantage. The candidate needs to be excellent technically and can utilise their skills to nurture growth in our business and our people. This opportunity is to support our activities in transmission and distribution substation design in supporting National Grid’s and DNO FEED frameworks and other major energy clients.
We have design teams based at offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter, however we require the flexibility to work across all our offices and client locations.
As part of our team you’ll be providing a range of services from feasibility design through to the preparation of technical specifications, production of detailed construction drawings and design compliance checks throughout the design process on all elements of EHV and HV primary plant, including substations, energy storage systems and inertia plant.
In your role, you’ll provide Project Design Management and Substation Design Engineering for the full range of EHV and HV Substation design activities.
Key responsibilities include:
• The day-to-day management and coordination of allocated design teams including EHV and HV Substation Plant, Protection & Control, HV Cable, Civil Engineers and CAD Technicians
• Coordination of inputs being provided by other departments and external groups, such as survey/geotechnical, transport and environmental
• Managing agreed project programmes and deliverables
• Ensuring the design meets all the client’s scoping requirements and compliance with their technical specifications • Conducting engineering reviews, quality assurance checks and approval of design drawings, reports, construction programmes and other deliverables
• Attending and chairing Design Reviews, Hazard Reviews and other related meetings
• Acting as main point of contact with the client during the various design phases.
• Carrying out system design studies
• Has a track record of delivering innovative solutions. Jacobs is a “Relationship” focused company and the building and developing of these relationships with our clients is a significant and important part of this role.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
You need to enjoy working in a team environment and where necessary using your expertise to guide other members of staff. You’ll also require the ability to lead bid preparation, deliver to tight timescales, be technically accurate and to manage a number of schemes simultaneously, either as the lead or as part of a team. Strong verbal and written communication skills, and excellent quantitative and problem-solving skills are essential as part of this role.
Jacobs have a strong ethos for safety in our BeyondZero approach, so you would be expected to have a positive attitude to health and safety, especially to eliminate or reduce the risk early in the design process,
• Bachelor’s Degree and/or Masters in Electrical Engineering, but candidates holding HNC/ HND qualifications and proven ability will also be considered
• Membership of IEE, IET or similar Engineering Institution
• Proven technical ability in the design and application of EHV power system plant up to and including 400kV, including LV electrical systems, earthing design and also have an understanding of other engineering disciplines (civil, protection & control)
• Proven track record at delivering innovative solutions
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience of doing system studies
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally