The Strategic Economic Infrastructure (SEI) Capital Programme for transportation improvements forms a critical part of the Joint Venture’s service delivery to East Sussex County Council and is a key revenue generator. The SEI programme is funded from Local Government Funds and includes the planning, design and delivery of transportation improvement schemes in the County.
Reporting to the Planned Works Director, as Design Lead and Team Manager you will be accountable for efficient, high quality, on programme delivery that integrates design and constructability expertise to deliver the portfolio of schemes that meet and exceed requirements of client (and other stakeholders as appropriate). You will also be responsible to direct and motivate the design and project management team to deliver the Annual Service Programme for the SEI Capital Programme.
KEY TASKS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Provide effective leadership and communication, through clear objectives, so that the team identifies with East Sussex Highways Promises.
• Plan and structure services to meet the highest priorities within allocated resources and manage competing demands.
• Work with the client and contract teams in support and development of the Employers Service Requirements Plan (ESRP) and Annual Service Plan (ASP).
• Manage team resources, ensuring appropriate resources are available, identifying where additional support may be required.
• Responsible for the management and planning of the Infrastructure Design programme.
• Work closely with the Client SEI team coordinating design programme and allocating the appropriate delivery team resources.
• Support Project Managers providing appropriate resources to deliver SEI schemes.
• Plan, monitor and control resources to maximise the efficient and effective use of finances and people to ensure that all activities are completed on time, cost and quality targets
• Provide effective leadership on health and safety matters by actively promoting health and safety awareness and ensuring the provision of safe working practises to ensure compliance with policy and standards.
• Develop and mentor staff to succeed in their respective roles and embed personal and collective accountability for delivery of programme and client objectives
• Ensure monthly reporting requirements for SPI 1,2 and 19 for all SEI projects are undertaken.
• Ensure compliance with legislation, standards and processes.
• Identify and implement process improvements.
• Manage and administer consultant and supplier contracts.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS:
• All schemes planned, designed and delivered on site efficiently, on time, safely and to the required design quality etc. – design/constructability integration.
• Feedback from client and Senior Managers
• Optimal utilisation of design and project management resources, in line with project estimates
• ASP delivered in line with programme
• Service Performance Indicators (SPI) results are analysed and achieved
• Meeting all associated annual SPIs on a consistent basis
ESCC SPECIFIC SERVICE STANDARDS:
• Act with integrity and professionalism at all times
• Be open and honest in working relationships
• Flexibility and resilience
• Respect for confidentiality
• Be an ambassador for the business at all times
• Meeting and exceeding SPIs targets
• Monthly SEI Capital Programme progress reporting – plan, design and delivery of SEI capital programme on time, safely and to the required design quality
• At all times adhere to company procedures regarding health and safety and where applicable to ensure all team members do likewise.
• At all times to behave in a way that supports the Joint Venture’s stated vision and values and where applicable to ensure all team members do likewise.
• This job may require working outside of normal office hours
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Degree qualification
• Appropriate professional qualifications.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrable communication and IT skills (including Word, Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint)
• Excellent organisational and multi‐tasking skills and an ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, whilst maintaining attention to detail
• Flexible approach to working hours, should it be necessary to work outside of the core working hours.
• Collaborative skills
• Commercial acumen
• Work under own supervision
• Active in looking at data to develop improvements
• Leading and managing a team to deliver the service
• Constructively engage with people from all levels of East Sussex Highways to improve the service
• Be accountable for delivery of SEI and wider business targets and embed a culture of accountability amongst the team
• Accept a duty of care towards team members and the wider ESH team,
• Visible leader who challenges and supports the team to deliver excellent work and drive continuous improvement
The following experience would be desirable:
• Technical experience relevant to multi-disciplinary highways planning, design and constructability skills.
• Team development and leadership skills
• Coaching & mentoring skills
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please .
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally