We are recruiting a G6 Programme Management Lead, responsible for ensuring that the team is set up for success, by leading the Programme Management and Operational Management activities. Our team deliver a range of challenging work projects across four distinct work areas (policy, legal, compliance and the Devolved Administrations). Co-ordinating this range of deliverables, managing our staffing levels/priorities, logging/mitigating risk and monitoring progress across all the teams is a significant task.
The successful candidate will work closely with senior stakeholders and Directors on a daily basis and therefore strong stakeholder management skills and an ability to react to changing demands and situations is essential in this role. The ideal candidate will have a background in Operational service delivery. They will use their experience to collaborate across a wide variety of stakeholders within the Test & Trace.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working at pace and able to develop and manage processes and protocols that are sufficiently resilient and agile to respond to urgent demands from a range of senior stakeholders, whilst maintaining their integrity and objectivity. You will have a collaborative approach that builds and maintains strong relationships within and across departmental boundaries and will also be comfortable presenting a constructive challenge when appropriate, including to senior colleagues.
Resilience is essential for this role, you will be leading projects carrying a high degree of reputational risk. You could be leading a single standalone project or a project within a wider programme or portfolio. You should expect to work in an environment of considerable uncertainty and political sensitivity. You may also have to manage a number of high-profile stakeholders with conflicting priorities. Procedures and methodologies will often need to be tailored or adapted to suit unique situations.
We are recruiting for a variety of teams across the Test & Trace Programme, including:
•COVID-19 testing technology
Your key responsibilities will include:
• Project Delivery – Accountable for creating and leading a project to ensure it delivers effective outcomes within time, cost and quality constraints.
• Project Management – Leading the day to day management of the project team. This involves designing the project structure and organisation appropriate to stage, including the recruitment of resources within budget constraints; setting appropriate delivery methodologies; providing effective management controls; and managing effective transition between project phases. At this level the Senior Programme Managers will be an advocate for the project, generating interest and buy in throughout the business. The Senior Programme manager will lead a motivated and capable team and foster an inclusive culture of innovation.
• Stakeholder Management – The Senior Programme manager will identify and manage collaborative stakeholder relationships. They will be required to build consensus across a large and often diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, successfully managing engagement and communications to ensure buy-in.
• Risk Management – Identify, monitor and proactively manage project risks and issues. The senior project manager will take tangible action to ensure strategic and operational risks and issues are identified, assessed, and prioritised throughout the life of the project. They will also ensure senior stakeholders and specialists are engaged where appropriate.
• Project Performance – Develop and maintain the project plan, identifying and setting appropriate project controls, managing performance and reporting progress to sponsors. At this level the senior project manager will cascade the project vision and translate into delivery objectives.
• Business Transformation – The Senior Programme Manager will be responsible for ensuring the strategic fit of the project with the wider organisational strategy. This includes putting in place effective processes to document any changes to deliverables and ensuring they are communicated and agreed with relevant stakeholders.
The following experience is essential for the role:
• Have significant experience in delivering either complex or high-risk projects within agreed time, cost and quality constraints. You will have achieved this using expert knowledge of project management tools and methodologies and be capable of designing a project structure and organisation to meet the requirements of the project.
• Be experienced and credible in dealing with a broad and complex range of stakeholders, with the confidence to engage with senior officials and ministers. You will have a proactive approach, seeking out opportunities to engage, and be used to operating with a high degree of autonomy where there is ambiguity.
• Have practical experience in actively Leading and managing project risks/ issues. You will be able to apply your skills with a sound understanding of how they relate to wider strategy.
• Demonstrates a strong understanding of project management tools and methodologies, and significant experience of applying them in practice.
• The ability to plan, develop, maintain and apply quality management processes to ensure the adherence to those standards throughout the project delivery lifecycle.
• The development of programme reporting that enables the Programme leads to monitor performance and take appropriate action, using standard PPM tools as well as bespoke mechanisms.
• Have experience of leading a project with limited resources, adapting project management styles to ensure the project still delivers in a rapidly changing environment.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
•Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
•A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
•A Civil Service pension
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.People working with government assets must complete checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using , and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.At application stage, you will be asked to complete an application, where you will be asked to write 250-word statements setting out how you meet each of these Behaviours:
-Making Effective Decisions
-Seeing the big picture
-Delivering at pace
You will also be asked to write a personal statement of up to 750 words that sets out how you meet the essential experience listed in the job description.
In the event of a large number of applications, a sift will be done on the leading Behaviour, Making Effective Decisions.
If invited to interview, you will be asked questions about how you demonstrate the four Behaviours and about your experience. A presentation will be assessed at interview, the interview topic will be provided before the interview.
Sift and interview dates to be confirmed.
Please note that due to COVID-19 restrictions, we will not be interviewing face-to-face at this time. All interviews will be conducted remotely via video call. Further information will be provided to candidates in advance of interviews.
Candidates who pass the interview criteria but are not offered a post will be kept on a reserve list for 12 months and may be offered similar roles across the department. Candidates who are judged to be a near miss at interview may be considered for other positions which may be at a lower grade but have a potential skills match.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally