Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km’s of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing. We are an essential service and have operated throughout the Covid19 pandemic.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open.
What you will be doing
This Laboratory Analyst position is a 10-12 month secondment/fixed term contract in our Microbiology department. The role involves the preparation and analysis of samples for organisms such as E.coli/Coliforms and membrane filtration such as Enterococci and Cl. perfringens. The team also carry out a variety of other analysis such as taste and odour, Cryptosporidium & Giardia testing as well as the analysis of raw waters for algae and other biological quality indicators. This is a fast-paced environment, and all training is provided to aid in working together as part of the larger team.
Our labs are a key part of the business which allows us to monitor that our drinking water is safe and clean and that our waste product is treated in the correct way. Not only do we analyse samples from our customers’ homes but also from our sites and the rivers too.
Key areas of accountability will include:
- Analysing samples within a defined area to meet UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service), Environment Agency and DWI (Drinking Water Inspectorate) standards and relevant H&S Standard.
- Carrying out basic maintenance of analytical equipment.
- Working in a highly regulated environment giving an excellent customer service to everyone you meet.
- Working with quality management systems to ISO 17025 and automated data handling.
We’re looking for you to:
- Have previous experience working in a laboratory or HNC in a science discipline such as Microbiology (or equivalent).
- Follow strict instructions and guidelines to produce, record, maintain and verify data within a highly regulated UKAS accredited Laboratory.
- Have our customers at the heart of everything you do and value being part of a team to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Be comfortable carrying out repetitive work and have a real passion for working in a laboratory.
- Constantly looking for ways to improve both yourself and processes and will be comfortable in putting your ideas forward.
What’s in it for you?
This is an opportunity put your skills into action in our labs. Testing over 2 million samples a year and providing the highest quality drinking water to the Thames Water Region, this role really puts you at the heart of the business.
This role joins part of a team dedicated to providing excellent customer service. Our labs have won awards for health and safety and all of our teams are dedicated to meeting this exceptional standard. Most recently, Thames Water Thames Water has become one of only a handful of organisations to be recognised by the Science Council as an “Employer Champion”.
The award recognises our commitment to supporting our scientific staff with continued professional development and registration with appropriate professional bodies.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader and we are a Times Top 50 Employer for Women.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally