Full-Time (37.5 hours)/ Permanent
Salary £22,000-£27,500 DOE + Benefits
Here at Serco we’re looking for a Maintenance Operative to join us on our AASC contract travelling across Coventry. AASC offers a range of improvements, with particular focus on assisting individuals through the asylum system. They will ensure that vulnerable asylum seekers have access to the support they need and set clear requirements on the standard and condition of accommodation
The primary function of this role will be to provide building maintenance services to properties in Coventry which includes fault fixes, cosmetic repairs and garden maintenance. You will be responsible for carrying out both planned and reactive maintenance tasks assigned within these locations whilst working closely and collaboratively with other maintenance, field operation staff and housing staff and you will also support the work of sub-contractors, where required.
You will ensure all accommodation is safe and habitable and in accordance with the Decent Homes Standard and ensuring that there are no hazards to users of the property and check all relevant property reports before undertaking works in the properties, e.g. asbestos, potentially dangerous persons, structural reports.
As part of this you’ll:
- Liaising with external sub-contractors to ensure access can be obtained, works are completed to agreed standards and the sub-contractors are approved. Where work is outside the MO skill set for fault repair a report should be raised on Aora to instruct the appropriate trade fix to be initiated in accordance with the Home Office Contract terms.
- Undertake audit samples of external suppliers work and report findings, once a year a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) for any properties in their area, liaising with Housing Officer partners to ensure that any properties in the MO’s portfolio have been inspected at least once per calendar month with a documented report.
- Only purchase materials from approved Serco suppliers and keep receipts for all transactions to identify and record what materials are used for each job/property and obtain Managers approval for the Hire or purchase of any plant or tools over £100 to undertake any maintenance repair.
- Remove all waste from properties when in attendance and ensure the waste is disposed of in approved license areas and re-cycled where possible and undertake garden maintenance duties for properties defined under their property remit.
- Where requested, be the site liaison for all stakeholder parties with an interest in the property e.g. Landlords, Local Authorities, Home Office, in order to provide continuous maintenance support.
What you’ll need to do the role
First and foremost, you’ll need to have worked in a similar role or gained at least 1-2 years’ worth of experience in a maintenance position. Should you be able to demonstrate any of the following qualifications/ experience then a pay review will be conducted so its reflected/ increased accordingly: Fire door installation, Kitchen & Bathroom installation, Flooring, Plastering, Windows & Glazing. (Salary without these will start at £22,000)
The successful applicant will be computer literate, flexible, able to work on their own initiative, efficient and reliable. We are looking for someone that can communicate at all levels, build strong working relationships and be a successful part of an ever-growing team.
Due to the nature of the role Security clearance at Counter Terrorism Check level and Criminal Record Bureau checks are required (all offers of employment are subject to security clearance checks and approval by the Home Office).
What else do I need to know?
The job holder may be required to work in other Serco sites within the radius of 100 miles of present location (company to cover travelling costs)
Meaningful and vital work: Serco is focused on decency and respect in all aspects of care for residents, which is delivered at a critical time in their lives.
A world of opportunity: Our diverse UK-wide operations offer unrivalled opportunities to learn and develop. You’ll be able to broaden your experience and apply your skills in new ways.
Great people: As well as care for residents we also care for and support one another. We are a motivated team who will encourage you and help you to succeed.
What we Offer
- Up to 6% contributory pension scheme
- Serco discounts which include cinema, merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, cycle to work scheme and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships.
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and [email protected] (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
We’re a Disability Confident employer and are committed to equal opportunities. If you have any additional queries, requirements or you need more time to apply, then please contact our recruitment team
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally