Are you looking for a pivotal role at the centre of public spending, improving value for taxpayer’s money? If this sounds like you, please get in touch!
The Efficiency and Cabinet Office (ECO) team, sifts at the heart of Government and leads on HM Treasury’s work on public sector productivity and efficiency. We are leading on an exciting new programme to evaluate public spending, and are initiating other vital cross-cutting efficiency and transformation programmes across Government. We also provide spending control for the Cabinet Office and HM Treasury and play a critical role in supporting an effective centre of government.
We are looking for someone to join our team as Head of Public Sector Productivity. This is a high-profile role, visible to external partners and Ministers. We are offering the opportunity for leadership, as well as making tangible contributions to decisions on spending. You will also be part of a management team, working closely with our Deputy Director to make ECO an excellent place to work, ensuring effective collaboration and balanced workloads.
In this role, you will:
- Improve the use of evidence and evaluation in public spending decisions, so we spend taxpayers’ money on the things that work.
- Develop and deliver HM Treasury’s approach to public sector productivity and efficiency, including at Spending Review 21
- Lead HMT’s thinking on improving the Government’s use of technology and data.
- Provide spending control for the Government Digital Service and the Infrastructure and Projects Authority.
- Manage a branch of 2 Range D’s, ensuring each member has clear and stretching objectives, is supported in their development and is able to achieve work-life balance.
We are a small and friendly team of 10 and work closely with a wide range of other teams inside and outside of HMT. ECO encourages flexible working arrangements and puts high importance on wellbeing and ensuring the team has a good work-life balance.
- 25 days’ annual leave (rising to 30 after 5 years), plus 8 public holidays and the Queen’s birthday (unless you have a legacy arrangement as an existing Civil Servant)
- Flexible working patterns, as above
- Access to a generous Defined Benefit pension scheme with employer contributions. Find out more about Civil Service pensions
- Access to a cycle-to-work salary sacrifice scheme, season ticket advances and payroll giving
- Access to a retail discounts and cashback benefits site
- A range of active staff networks, based around interests (e.g. analysts, music society, sports and social club) and diversity (e.g. women in the Treasury, ethnic minority network, LGBT network, faith and belief network)
Our recruitment process is underpinned by the principle of recruitment based on fair and open competition with decisions made on the basis of merit, as outlined in the Civil Service Commissioners’ Recruitment Principles. If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with these principles and you wish to make a complaint, you should in the first instance contact HMT by email: [email protected]
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can contact the Civil Service Commission, which regulates all Civil Service recruitment.