Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km’s of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing. We are an essential service and have operated throughout the Covid19 pandemic.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open.
What you will be doing
This is an exciting opportunity to join Thames Water as a Cost Planner to work on the Water Resources Management Plan (WRMP), Strategic Regional Options (SRO) and Water Industry National Environment Programme (WINEP). Working as part of a team, you will support the delivery of a £230m investment programme in AMP7. You will be responsible for maintaining and assuring the delivery of these projects through the Thames Water business systems and reporting tools, including SAP.
The SRO programme includes the development of multi-billion-pound, nationally strategic infrastructure projects which are typically jointly owned by multiple water companies. The programme deadlines are set by Ofwat as part of a regulatory gated development programme, and the requirements of the regional Water Resources South East (WRSE) and statutory water company WRMP24 programmes. The WINEP and Drought Plan programme includes multiple investigations of the impacts and mitigation of low flows and droughts on our environment and is a legal requirement and business plan performance commitment.
This role is essential for co-ordinating, monitoring and reporting programme and project costs with respect to budgets and programme milestones. You will need to work with both external partners and Thames Water teams to prepare monthly financial progress reports in our business systems (SAP, SAP BI), providing appropriate support and challenge where required.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Maintain SAP with information relating to budgets, forecasts, actuals, and slippage, tracking key milestones required by the business. Assure the quality of the data and compliance with financial and corporate policies on cost recognition
- Work with Project Planners to maintain SAP milestones based on project outputs and outcomes and identify any exceptions as part of quality and assurance processes
- Complete monthly reporting into Project Managers with high-quality analytics to enable quality and timely decision making and onward reporting
- Support the team in preparing investment papers, raising purchase orders and goods receipt invoices, ensuring clear and auditable reporting has been provided to justify the associated spend
- Support Finance teams with budget setting and quarterly re-forecasting
- Work alongside the governance team to ensure that changes to funding reflect project initiatives and changes in governance
- Maintain a consistent cost breakdown schedule to enable robust reporting and compliance with reporting and controlling standards
- Maintain SAP alignment with P6 Delivery programmes
We’re looking for you to:
- Have proven experience of working as a Cost Planner, Financial Controller or Senior Analyst, ideally with regulatory reporting experience gained in a project controls environment
- Be an expert user of SAP
- Possess strong numerical and analytical skills and be able to use Office 365 reporting products, Power BI is desirable
- Have excellent communication skills to constructively engage and collaborate with multiple partners and teams
- Have a working knowledge of Planning Software (preferably P6 or Microsoft Project)
- Work to deadlines, taking accountability for your role while working accurately and flexibly within a busy team
- Have experience in governance and assurance compliance including change management processes
What’s in it for you?
You’ll play a pivotal role in managing some of the business’s strategic, long-term investment programmes. This role is varied, and you will liaise with stakeholders across the business which in turn will give you great exposure. You will look at cost, risk, expenditure and as a result, you will have a direct impact on our customers.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a highly engaged and professional team. The role will suit a determined individual who is looking for the next challenge and who enjoys a diversity of work with a varied schedule. Remote working and flexible hours will be considered for this role.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme.
We’re proud of the positive ways of working we have adopted during the pandemic. We want to create a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles we are moving to a hybrid approach where we will provide options around working from our offices, our operational sites and home dependent on role/team/individual. This will be discussed during the assessment process.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding, and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader and we are a Times Top 50 Employer for Women.
You can find out more in our working for us section of our website.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally