As one of the key members of the design team, the Assistant Engineering Manager (AEM) is a supporting role to an experienced Engineering Manager (EM) in the delivery of projects within the Transportation Group.
AEM’s will input into day-to-day engineering/technical delivery of work on specific projects or tenders. They will support the technical interface between the project and the engineering disciplines and provides guidance and support to the disciplines as required. The AEM will work with the Engineering Manager (EM) to deliver design submissions in accordance with Jacobs quality standards, on time and to budget.
Role Outline/ Responsibilities
The AEM is an engineering professional who has recently become or is working towards being a member of a professional institution and aspires to become an EM who will take technical responsibility for managing and delivering projects. An AEM will be mentored and supported in their development into an EM through a combination of on the job project and tender delivery as well as internal EM training.
The AEM will support project delivery by assisting the EM in proactively managing communication and appropriate dialogue between the disciplines during the project life, and, where necessary, between the different offices involved in the project. The AEM will also monitor the outputs from the disciplines to ensure that they cover all aspects of the remit and are consistent with each other.
• Support the EM to monitor the use of Jacobs delivery tools/processes which ensure that all parties have an agreed understanding of the project and their part within it, including implementation of the Jacobs Engineering Handbook – Rail.
• Support the EM in management and monitoring of disciplines working on a project through attendance at and documenting actions and minutes arising from all design review meetings.
• Support BIM managers in assuring the quality of deliverables in accordance with a BIM Execution Plan.
• Support the EM in the development and issue of project deliverables to meet project programme and deadlines.
• Support the EM in integration of project, safety and stakeholder requirements into the Jacobs deliverables including the monitoring of project requirements registers.
• Monitor delivery of designs and project deliverables against a project programmes and assist the EM and project programmer to update and manage delivery against programme.
• Support the EM in drafting of technical queries and requests for information for approval by the EM.
• Monitor and maintain project delivery registers including, assumptions, CDM & CSM risks and interfaces.
• Deputise for the EM in day to day project delivery if required.
#railengineeringmanager #UKRail #UKTransportation
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Bachelors or Masters Degree (BSc, MSc, BEng, MEng) or equivalent Degrees (Preferred),
• Practical railway experience – design or site,
• Rail system safety knowledge and experience in implementing Common Safety Method of Rail Evaluation and Assessment.
• Working towards professional chartership.
• Relevant experience delivering rail projects to UK or Europe rail clients.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following:
• Experience in rail design/design management
• Knowledge of Rail standards
• Understanding of the Network Rail Engineering Management of Projects and how this is implemented in project delivery.
• Knowledge of Eurocodes and British Standards
• Experienced in project delivery using the Jacobs Engineering Handbook Rail.
• Customer Focus – demonstrated by successful project delivery to a Rail Client
• Strategic Mindset
• Drives vision & purpose
• Cultivates Innovation
• A Global Mindset and demonstrated ability to work across cultures and remotely with our Global Integrated Delivery teams
Bring your creativity, collaborative spirit and extreme attention to detail, and we’ll help you grow, pursue and fulfill what drives you – so we can deliver extraordinary solutions for a better tomorrow, together.
Grow your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, flourish, and succeed.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally