PA Housing is an award winning provider of affordable, quality homes, but our business is about more than property – it’s about people. We aim to put our residents at the centre of everything we do and offer first class services to all.
Our business is built around decades of experience in the social housing sector across the Midlands, London, Home Counties and the South East. We hold a stock of more than 24,000 homes and employ 600 plus staff to provide a high standard of service to our householders.
Our success and our plans for the future would not be possible without our dedicated team of staff members. Every one of our employees help to make a difference to the lives of our residents and other local people, and we look after our team members well.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Company Secretary to join our Corporate Affairs team in Bede Island Leicester with a mix of remote working. Your role will be to support the Assistant Director of Corporate Affairs and Company Secretary in maintaining the highest level of Company Secretarial Services and Standards of Governance, across the business. Building and maintaining excellent relationships with colleagues and contacts both within and outside the business.
Some of the key tasks and responsibilities include:
- Providing advice and guidance on governance matters to ensure that compliance is achieved across the business
- Own the on-going development, review, and management of Company Secretarial and Governance services to ensure they are fit for purpose and provide clear accountable decision-making and oversight
- Developing effective administrative systems and processes that support and monitor the Company Secretarial and Governance functions, and provide a high standard of customer service
- Managing the electronic meeting system used to publish papers and information resources to Board Members, and be responsible for ensuring appropriate electronic and paper records are kept of Board and Committee minutes, agenda papers and resolutions
- Supporting the preparation of agendas, minutes and background papers for Board and its Committees
- Assist with oversight of the governance framework and maintenance of the statutory and regulatory compliance framework
- Preparing Companies House filings, annual returns to the FCA, regulatory returns required by key funders, and other stakeholders, ensuring timely accurate submission
- Maintaining Board Member records including attendance registers, declarations of interest register and other key statutory records and registers
- Assisting with assessment of compliance with the relevant Code of Governance
- Contributing to the scheduling and maintenance of the annual corporate meeting planner
- Maintaining the corporate policy register and producing an annual report to Board
- Updating Company Secretary and Corporate governance information and policy information on the website and intranet
- Complying with the Health & Safety Policy, ensuring own and others health and safety
- Support the Assistant Director of Corporate Affairs and Company Secretary with reporting and presenting of relevant matters to Boards and Committees
- Facilitate and support the recruitment and ongoing development of Board and Committee members as required including induction, training, and appraisal.
- Contribute towards delivery of the organisation’s Value for Money Strategy
- Support the work of Leadership team, and at all times exhibit values and behaviours which align with the status of the role
- Exhibit an absolute commitment to quality customer service, delivery of value for money, high performance and equality and diversity at all times
- Assist in the effective management of the organisation and its subsidiary companies, boards, and committees
- Oversee the policies framework and liaise with policy owners to ensure that organisational policies are developed to a high standard and renewed in line with organisational requirements.
In order to be considered for this role you must:
- Have a passion for service excellence and continuous improvement
- Have the ability to represent the organisation at a variety of levels and act as an ambassador
- Be resilient and capable of adapting to change to help drive the business forward
- A degree in Law
- Be qualified in or seeking to study for the professional qualification of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators – (ACIS or FCIS)
- Have the ability to build and maintain effective relationships
- Have excellent interpersonal and written communication skills with solid accuracy and attention to detail
- Have the ability to interpret rules, principles, and guidance for the business
- Have experience of working with confidential and sensitive material in a professional manner
- Be a competent minute-taker at board or committee meetings with meticulous organisational skills and attention to detail
- Have previous experience of working in a people related function.
Skills to set you apart:
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- A background in governance compliance approaches and processes
- Good knowledge of common office business systems, e.g. Microsoft Office with the ability to adapt quickly to new technology and better ways of working
- Be able to analyse and interpret complex data and provide reports
- Have experience of stakeholder management best practice and techniques
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have three values we work by. When we meet, we’ll need you to show us how they are important to you too.
We always do the right thing: We offer the best quality service that we can.
We’re there when you need us: We listen and take action ensuring we deliver on our promises.
We never give up: We are courageous in our pursuit of growth to provide more quality affordable homes.
What we have to offer:
We recognise that people are at the heart of our business and that success is dependant on enthusiastic and committed colleagues. We make sure they feel supported and encourage a culture of opportunity and learning to enable colleagues to fulfil their potential and make a real difference to people’s lives every day.
In return, we reward our staff for their dedication by offering competitive salaries and an excellent discretionary range of employee benefits some of with include:
- A choice of 3 generous pension schemes to suit you
- Access to the Simply Health Cash plan scheme for discounted optical, dental and health care bills
- Perkbox Rewards – Big discounts on high Street shops, cinemas, airport parking and hotels, savings with Apple, free coffee at Caffe Nero each month, download a free film each month and more!
- Long Service Awards
- Health and Wellbeing initiatives such as fitness classes, walking clubs, meditation sessions and more
- Employee Assistance Programme – A 24 hour confidential telephone counselling service
- Travel to work perks such as Bike2Work Scheme, allowing you to purchase a bike under salary sacrifice & 0% Season ticket loans for bus and train tickets
- 26 days annual leave entitlement per annum plus bank holidays (pro rated for part time roles). With the possibility for colleagues to buy or sell a maximum of 35 hours in annual leave year subject to certain conditions
- Upon successful to completion of your probationary period, we offer our colleagues an interest free loan of up to £5,000 to assist with general living costs
- Enhanced PA Housing maternity, paternity, adoption pay and shared parental leave above the statutory amount
- Opportunities to develop your career through internal and external training, professional qualifications, career coaching etc.
- As a Not-for-profit organisation, we recognise the importance of charitable work and volunteering – this is why PA Housing will match fund money raised by our Colleagues for any registered charity that aligns with PA values.
Our EDI Policy:
At PA Housing, communities are at the heart of everything we do. We know how important it is to be representative of our customers and the communities we serve, and we have always committed to creating an inclusive approach to our recruitment process to ensure that we are hiring from a diverse talent pool of people. We're an Equal Opportunity employer and encourage applications from any individual who has the relevant skills and experience for the role, inclusive of any protected characteristics such as gender identity, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability status, sexual orientation and age.
At PA Housing, we pride ourselves in being a disability confident employer and support our applicants with any additional adjustments they may require during their application process. We take a flexible approach to working, and support part-time hours, job shares, where possible and provide a salary sacrifice option for childcare vouchers.
As part of our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy, actively hiring women into this role is one our objectives to increase and promote diversity at PA Housing. If you have the relevant skills and experience for the role, please apply on our recruitment portal via our company website.
As a Disability Confident and Equal Opportunities Employer, PA Housing welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates including those from black and minority ethnic (BME) groups and disabled candidates.
We’re happy to consider flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
AGENCIES: We know where you are if we need your support so please do not contact us.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally