Here at Coombefield Veterinary Hospital, we are looking for an ambitious Veterinary Surgeon to join our friendly and supportive team. The position will be based at our purpose-built, longstanding small animal hospital, where the shift starts with a handover from the day team and ends with hospital rounds. This enables discussion with colleagues and continuity of care.
This is a great opportunity to gain further experience and qualifications with a varied and challenging caseload. You will be working alongside our dedicated night Nurses in our newly emerging night service where we aim to provide the surrounding practices and clients with convenient, high-quality night service. Night working gives the opportunity to work up ECC patients without the pressure of a full day list, providing a real sense of job satisfaction, whilst working in a close-knit team. Further qualifications are encouraged and supported. The rota will involve working 7 nights on and 14 nights off. We are flexible if you are wanting to work a mix of night and day shifts. Part-time applications will also be considered. The salary will be up to £60,000 depending on experience.
Coombefield is a RCVS accredited purpose-built small animal veterinary hospital with a single branch surgery. We are in an area of outstanding natural beauty, close to the world-famous Jurassic Coast, and situated in a perfect position for exploring and adventures in down-time. There are good transport links by road (M5, A303) and rail (on a direct line between London and Exeter), with the potential of accommodation at the practice for use between shifts. This opens the opportunity to someone wishing to commute, as well as those looking to relocate.
There are excellent facilities such as: 2 operating theatres, dental room, imaging suite, in-house lab with EPOC machine, cattery, kennels, isolation unit and pharmacy. The building provides a pleasant working environment with space to relax including a garden and is within walking distance of a gym and swimming pool.
We currently have a team of 11 Veterinary Surgeons (full and part time) supported by large Nursing, Reception and Administration teams. Our staff are great to work with, many have been with us for years. Several of our Vets have, or are studying for, certificates or higher qualifications. We are committed to providing excellent veterinary and customer care, always seeking to improve our standards.
Coombefield is a friendly and supportive place to work and we are more like a family. We are part of the community helping local charities and an animal sanctuary. We support each other and staff wellbeing is a priority. We encourage sporting events, sponsor fundraising, and arrange practice walks and social events. Our family values are at the heart of how we build our culture and how we treat each other. By acting and behaving in accordance with sound values, we achieve better cooperation, communication and create a positive working environment.
1) Maintain membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and be familiar with the ethics of the practice outlined in the RCVS Guide to professional conduct (Part 1 Section B).
2) Work in accordance with the IVC Vet Charter.
3) Present a professional approach and smart appearance at all times.
4) Assume responsibility for surgical and medical cases at all times.
5) Ensure an effective consultation process for all patients by following the recognised basic stages.
6) Ensure that all treatment given is in line with informed consent and in accordance with UK legislation and RCVS guide to professional conduct. 7) Price appropriately all clinical cases and inform the client of potential cost prior to treatment commencing.
8) Record all patient information, treatment, diagnostic reports and charges into the Practice Management system.
9) Be fully responsible for the safety of the clients and staff within the practice when animals are being treated or handled.
10) Understand and comply with your legal obligations in relation to prescription, safe keeping and supply of Veterinary medicinal products.
11) Continually supervise, train and educate the Veterinary Nurses.
12) Treat all colleagues and clients with courtesy and respect.
13) Ensure the security of the premises when leaving.
14) Maintain personal CPD as per RCVS guidelines.
15) When passing the care of patients under your care to another vet, ensure a full and thorough handover is given, including discussion of medical notes and treatment plan.
Benefits – Subject to Pro Rata:
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.