There are several services and types of support available to disabled people. If you are facing financial difficulties, you may be entitled to a form of financial support.

  • Universal Credit

    This is a payment to help with your living costs that you may be able to get if you are on a low wage, out of work or cannot work.

  • Personal Independence Allowance / Disability Living Allowance

    This is a tax-free benefit for people aged 16 or over who are not of state pension age. This benefit can aid you with the extra costs incurred as a result of your health condition or disability.

  • Attendance Allowance

    This is a tax-free benefit available if you have a disability and are of state pension age or over. This will help to provide support if you need someone to look after you.

  • Employment and Support Allowance

    This will give you money to help with living costs if you are unable to work, alongside aiding you to get you back into employment if you are able to.

  • Industrial Injuries Benefit

    You might be eligible for this benefit if you were injured or became ill at work because of an accident or a disease.

  • Constant Attendance Allowance

    You can claim for this benefit if you require daily care and assistance due to a disability.

  • Working Tax Credit

    This will be the disability element of this scheme. Your eligibility will depend on the hours of paid work you do a week and your personal circumstances.

If you would like to know more about each scheme and check your eligibility, visit for additional details.

If you would like some support on help in your local area, get in contact with your local Jobcentre Plus as they will be able to provide further assistance on the opportunities available to you.

If you require more information on specific topics such as transport, housing, support groups and more, we advise getting in contact with your local authority. To find your local authority’s website visit and use their local council search tool.