There are multiple avenues of financial help available for disabled people. If you are disabled, you are entitled to support from some different schemes and funding sources. It is important that you are aware of all of these avenues of support so that you can get the financial help that you both need and deserve.

At Careers with Disabilities, we want to make sure that disabled people have access to the support they are entitled to. So, we have created this page to tell you about all these different options for financial help in one place. To make things a little easier for you.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a source of government financial support that replaced Job Seeker’s Allowance and other related benefits. It is a financial payment system that can be accessed by those out of work, on a low wage, or not able to work. The system provides monthly payments intended to help with general living costs.

You can apply for Universal Credit through their online portal, here. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) 

Personal Independence Payment is another government source of funding that intends to support people with extra living costs. It replaced Disabled Living Allowance (DLA) and is the current source of extra support for disabled people in the U.K. You are eligible for PIP if you have:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability, and
  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition. 

You can get extra support with the costs associated with being disabled in this way. Support is given in either one or two parts; daily living and/or mobility. Whether you are eligible for both parts or just one will be assessed by The Department of Work and Pensions. 

You can find out more information about PIP in these easy-read guides

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit available if you have a severe disability and are of state pension age or over. It can help to provide financial support if you need someone to look after you.

It is paid at two different rates and what you receive will depend on the level of care you require. More support, more allowance.

Whoever looks after you may also be entitled to Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs. 

You can check if you are available for either and apply through this web page.

Employment and Support Allowance

The U.K. government offer the Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for people who have a disability or health condition that affects how much they are able to work. You can apply if you are employed, unemployed, or self-employed.

This scheme can also help you if you are searching for work and/or looking to get back into work, as well as offering financial support.

You can find out more, here

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

You may be entitled to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you acquired your disability or health condition while:

1) at work, or

2) at an approved work-related course or training session.

This can relate to both accidents and incidences of disease. How much you get will depend on how severely the disability affects your daily life. 

You can check what diseases and accidents are covered and whether you are eligible through this web page

If you need any help or guidance with figuring out what financial support you are entitled to, you can contact Citizens Advice. They have specific resources on benefits which can help you understand more about each type of benefit and which ones you are able to claim. You can contact them online if you need more help, or you can call their national hotline (0800 144 8848 for England). 

Careers with Disabilities

You can also find out more about your rights and how to find support as a disabled person right here at Careers with Disabilities.

You can check out resources made especially for you on our site and you can get in touch with us directly if you have any questions or queries.